A proposed purchase by Sinclair Broadcast Group of Tribune Media would concentrate over 70% of local news in the hands of a single corporation that has hired Trump-friendly commentators.
The FCC just extended the public comment period until Nov.2, 2017. This gives you one week to submit a comment.
Leave a comment on the FCC website against the pro-Trump takeover of local news.
Voice your protest of this merger to the FCC by clicking the link below, and entering the proceedings number 17-179:
Write to the FCC by following these guidelines.
Not sure what to write? Here are some talking points for your comment. Choose the ones that best express your views:
- Sinclair Broadcast Group and Tribune should never be allowed to merge.
- If this merger goes through, a single company will own more than 200 local TV stations, reaching more than 70 percent of the country. That’s far beyond the legal limits on media ownership and far too much power concentrated in the hands of a single company.
- Sinclair has evaded FCC rules, paid millions in FCC penalties and fines for airing propaganda and other violations, and drawn wide criticism for airing politically slanted content on its stations.
- Sinclair’s acquisition of Tribune Media would result in less competition, fewer local program options, and higher costs for consumers.
- The FCC should block this merger and restore policies that encourage a diversity of local media owners and a wide range of viewpoints.
Also, read LCI member Annie Dugan’s letter to the FCC here for additional talking points.
Sinclair Broadcast Group is a Trump-loving media company that is looking to acquire over 200 local news TV stations, reaching 72% of U.S. households. Until Trump’s FCC chairman scrapped the rule, companies like this were not allowed to reach more than 39% percent of households. Sinclair’s past behavior at places like Seattle’s KOMO News indicates they plan to turn our local news into an outlet for conservative, pro-Trump propaganda.
This unprecedented level of media consolidation is opposed by everyone from the American Cable Association to conservative outlets like Newsmax. But ordinary citizens like you need to weigh in too!
Want more information? Click here:
- John Oliver’s segment on Sinclair and KOMO News: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvtNyOzGogc
- ‘Two Big reasons Sinclair-Tribune TV merger should be nixed’: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2017/08/07/two-big-reasons-sinclair-tribune-tv-merger-should-nixed-opponents-say/546158001/
- Conservative opposition to the merger: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/business/media/sinclair-bid-to-acquire-tribune-media-draws-opposition.html
Thanks to Seattle Indivisible for this summary and resources.