We are watching and waiting. As of this writing, nearly 350 Cape Codders have committed to convening in protest at the First Parish Brewster Unitarian Universalist Church should Trump cross a red line in derailing the Mueller probe. Similar protests are planned for Hyannis and Falmouth, and thousands of protests are planned throughout the US and around the world.
Donald Trump is considering firing the man investigating Trump and his inner circle, Special Counsel Robert Mueller. (He says he has no plans to fire Mueller, but we can’t trust anything he says).
As Mueller digs deeper and deeper into Trump’s finances and possible obstruction of justice, the risk that Trump will take unilateral action only increases.
If Trump fires Mueller, we will have a full-blown Constitutional crisis on our hands. If this happens, our immediate response will determine the future of our democracy.
Rapid Response Plan
That is why Lower Cape Indivisible is joining hundreds of organizations across the country and around the world which are preemptively planning “Nobody is Above the Law” rapid-response actions, ready to deploy if Trump fires Mueller. Events are already planned in 49 states (and five foreign countries) involving more than 45,000 individuals who’ve already pledged to attend.
Here’s the plan:
- If Trump fires Mueller before 2:00 p.m. local time on any given day, allies will be in the streets at 5:00 p.m. local time the same day.
- If news breaks later in the day, we will rally at noon the following day.
Please note that the proposed day/time currently listed for the event is a placeholder only and will be finalized if/when Trump fires Mueller.)
Our response in the minutes and hours following an authoritarian move to put Trump above the law will help drive the national media narrative and help determine whether we’re able to ensure Congress holds Trump accountable. Click here to find and pledge to attend an event near you!
Can you pledge to attend a rapid response rally on Cape Cod?
Together, we’re saying through our actions—again and again—that no one is above the law and that we’re prepared to defend our democracy—for as long as it takes.
Mueller was named as special counsel to get to the bottom of the Russian meddling in the November election, and any ensuing effort to cover it up. This includes conflicts of interest within the Trump campaign, and possibly investigating Trump’s own finances to look for motives.
By firing Mueller, Trump would trigger a full-fledged Constitutional crisis by asserting that he is above the law. The hours following the firing will determine whether he is proved right.
Congress has the constitutional authority and obligation to hold Trump accountable for this abuse of power. But we’ve seen the Republican Congress give Trump pass after pass every time he crosses another line.
Should Trump fire Mueller, if that isn’t the moment they put country over party to hold Trump accountable, it’s not clear whether it will ever happen. Let’s show our lawmakers that we won’t stand by while they allow Donald Trump to slide the US into authoritarianism.
- “Americans Will March in the Streets in 48 U.S. States If Trump Fires Robert Mueller,” Newsweek, October 30, 2017
- “Nobody Is Above the Law—Mueller Firing Rapid Response,” MoveOn.org
- “Fox News v. Robert Mueller,” The New York Times, December 12, 2017
- “Nearing the end game: The 6 phases of Trump’s plan to fire Robert Mueller” Salon, December 12, 2017
- “Trump lawyers want second special counsel appointed now,” Axios, December 12, 2017
- “Focus on Flynn, Trump timeline suggests obstruction is on Mueller’s mind,” NBC News, December 11, 2017
- “Trump Leaderboard,” TrumpTruthHiders.com, accessed December 14, 2017 https://act.moveon.org/go/9977?t=28&akid=195437%2E24575986%2ES7K6_W
- “If Trump Fires Mueller, We Must Impeach” The Nation, December 15, 2017 https://www.thenation.com/article/if-trump-fires-mueller-we-must-impeach/
With former Trump National Security Adviser Michael Flynn pleading guilty to lying to the FBI, Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian election meddling has reached inside the White House.
With the investigation picking up steam, and two cooperating witnesses tied directly to the Trump campaign, no wonder Trump and his Republican allies in Congress and in the right-wing media are doing everything they can to raise questions about the legitimacy of the investigation, which may be setting the stage for Trump to fire Mueller.
Bipartisan legislation has been introduced in Congress that would limit Trump’s ability to fire the Special Counsel or otherwise interfere with his investigation.
Congress must take action IMMEDIATELY to ensure Trump can’t interfere in Mueller’s investigation.
Call your lawmakers today to ask them to co-sponsor and support the Special Counsel Integrity Act and Special Counsel Independence Protection Act (S. 1735, S. 1741, & HR 3771):
- Elizabeth Warren (202) 224-4543
- Edward Markey (202) 224-2742
- Bill Keating (202) 225-3111
After you’ve called, log it in with Common Cause by clicking here.
Caller: Hi! I’m a constituent from [part of state] I’m calling to urge [MoC] to use every tool in the toolbox to prevent Trump from firing Special Counsel Mueller. I’m concerned he may do that, launching a constitutional crisis. Will [MoC] speak out and tell the President that firing Mueller would be a red line he must not cross?
Staffer: Thank you for your call. [MoC] is monitoring the various investigations closely and is letting them run their course.
Caller: That’s good, but it’s really important for Congress to assert its power now to prevent Trump from firing Mueller. I’d like to see [MoC] issue a clear statement on this, and co-sponsor [H.R. 3771/S. 1735 or S. 1741] to show [his/her] support for protecting Mueller and the investigation.
Staffer: We’ll take a look at that legislation.
Caller: Great, I’ll be following to see if [MoC] co-sponsors and speaks out on this.
Investigations into complex criminal enterprises take time. The Manafort and Gates indictments and Flynn and Papadopoulus’ guilty pleas are the first, but likely not the last, criminal charges and plea deals that will result from Mueller’s investigation.
We must be prepared for anything. We know Trump, when cornered, punches back. If Trump fires Mueller, it will trigger a constitutional crisis like we haven’t seen since Watergate.
Congress must put country over party and act now to protect Mueller’s independence and send the White House a signal that any interference in the Russian investigation crosses a red line.
Republicans finally unveiled their #TrumpTaxScam last Thursday. It is a massive giveaway to giant banks, hedge funds, multinational corporations, and the rich and their families at the expense of most of the rest of us. By blowing a $1.5 trillion hole in the deficit, it paves the way for cuts to Medicare, Medicaid, and, potentially, Social Security.
House Republicans are already marking up their bill. And the Senate is expected to introduce their bill this week. Just as with TrumpCare, the only chance Republicans have to get this bill through is if We, the People, don’t make enough noise. But if we show national, mobilized, local opposition to this scam before most members of Congress (MoCs) make up their minds, we can stop them in their tracks.
And. We. Can. Win.
Call your lawmakers today to ask them to oppose the #TrumpTaxScam:
- Elizabeth Warren (202) 224-4543
- Edward Markey (202) 224-2742
- Bill Keating (202) 225-3111
Caller: Hello! My name is [___] and I’m calling from Cape Cod. I’m calling to let [Congressman / Senator __] know that I strongly oppose the tax bill released by House Republicans on November 2. This tax bill is a scam that will give massive cuts to the wealthy, paid for by forcing deep cuts to critical programs like Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security down the line.
Staffer: Thank you for calling! The [Congressman / Senator] is against the Republican tax bill; he/she does not believe we should give a tax cut to the wealthy and corporations.
Caller: That’s great. I’m very glad the [Congressman / Senator] is standing with his/her constituents instead of standing with Donald Trump and his rich friends. [If speaking to Senate office: Will the Senator commit to withholding consent on votes in the Senate so that we have time to mobilize against this bill?]
Staffer: I haven’t talked to the Senator about that, but I’ll pass your thoughts along.
Caller: That’s what I expect out of the [Congressman / Senator]. It’s not enough just to vote no, he/she needs to actively work to slow down the Trump Tax Scam and expose it for the scam it is. Please take down my info so you can let me know what he/she is doing to slow down or help defeat the #TrumpTaxScam.
After you make your call, let Indivisible know how it went by clicking here.
So much of what we care about is on the chopping block in the #TrumpTaxScam. Here’s what the GOP is willing to do just to give themselves and their millionaire and billionaire friends a tax cut:
- Penalize those with debt… and make them pay more: People with medical or student loan debt would no longer be able to deduct those expenses from their taxes.
- Attack immigrants: More than 5 million immigrant parents with US-citizen children would no longer be able to receive the Child Tax Credit. And some immigrants working legally in the US would lose access to the Earned Income Tax Credit.
- Stand in the way of adoptions: Adoptive parents would lose a key tax credit that helps offset the (very high!) costs of adoption.
- Disincentivize job growth in rural and urban areas: The GOP also removes a tax credit that encourages businesses to invest in places hit hardest by the recession–mostly rural communities and urban areas. (Hmm… what’s that again about Trump being a jobs president?)
- Exacerbate wealth inequality: The #TrumpTaxScam gives huge tax cuts to the wealthy by phasing out the estate tax, repealing the Alternative Minimum Tax, and limiting the tax rate on income earned by hedge funds, private law firms, and the Trump Organization. The bill also slashes the corporate tax rate so corporations can line the pockets of their shareholders.
- Add $1.5 trillion to the deficit: And once they balloon the deficit, they’ll use that as an argument to make deep, dangerous cuts to Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security in 2018.
In September, the Trump Administration upended the lives of nearly 800,000 DREAMers when Trump rescinded DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals), the Obama-era Executive Order that allowed young undocumented Americans to obtain job permits and live in the US, temporarily, without fearing deportation. Even more, Trump punted responsibility to Congress, which has yet to act.
The clock is ticking to pass a clean DREAM Act and pressure is mounting.
Late last week, several MOCs, including Senator Elizabeth Warren and Representative Keith Ellison (D-MI), announced they won’t support the upcoming government spending bill unless Republicans move forward with protections for DREAMers.
On November 9, as part of a day of action by our ally, United We Dream, we ask you to call Senator Markey and Representative Keating to ask them to take the DREAMer Pledge: If Congress hasn’t passed the DREAM Act by Dec. 8—when funding for the government expires—then they will insist on it being a part of the December spending bill, and will commit to voting against the December “continuing resolution” unless it contains a clean DREAM Act.
- Edward Markey (202) 224-2742
- Bill Keating (202) 225-3111
Sample Call Script
Caller: Hello! My name is [name] and I’m calling from Cape Cod. Could you please tell me what the [Senator/Representative]’s position is on Trump’s announcement that he is ending the DACA program to provide relief from deportation for 800,000 DREAMers who came to the United States as children?
Staffer: Yes! [Senator/Representative] is totally opposed to the decision to end DACA.
Caller: I’m glad to hear that. Can you tell me what [Senator/Representative] has done so far to speak out about this?
Staffer: Sure. [Senator/Representative] gave a speech on the floor recently that talked about the importance of DACA for immigrants and for our state’s economy.
Caller: That’s great, but it’s going to take more than talk and tweet storms to keep 800,000 DACA recipients from falling into Trump’s deportation machine. Will the [Senator/Representative] take the “DREAMer Pledge”? The DREAMer Pledge is a commitment to do everything he can to pass the DREAM Act as soon as possible, but if it hasn’t passed by December that he will insist that it be included in the December government spending bill.
- DACA provides relief from deportation to individuals who came to the US as children, if they meet a number of requirements (including extensive background checks). The program has provided approximately 800,000 young people the opportunity to live and work lawfully in the US. It does not provide a path to citizenship.
- In cancelling DACA, Donald Trump betrayed our values and broke our promise to these young immigrants who grew up calling the U.S. home.
- Trump’s elimination of DACA is consistent with his broader white supremacist agenda. He is systematically attacking people of color, immigrants, the LGBTQ community, and anyone else he can “other.” He pardoned former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, a man who made his career by violating the constitutional rights of those he was sworn to protect because of the color of their skin.
A proposed purchase by Sinclair Broadcast Group of Tribune Media would concentrate over 70% of local news in the hands of a single corporation that has hired Trump-friendly commentators.
The FCC just extended the public comment period until Nov.2, 2017. This gives you one week to submit a comment.
Leave a comment on the FCC website against the pro-Trump takeover of local news.
Voice your protest of this merger to the FCC by clicking the link below, and entering the proceedings number 17-179:
Write to the FCC by following these guidelines.
Not sure what to write? Here are some talking points for your comment. Choose the ones that best express your views:
- Sinclair Broadcast Group and Tribune should never be allowed to merge.
- If this merger goes through, a single company will own more than 200 local TV stations, reaching more than 70 percent of the country. That’s far beyond the legal limits on media ownership and far too much power concentrated in the hands of a single company.
- Sinclair has evaded FCC rules, paid millions in FCC penalties and fines for airing propaganda and other violations, and drawn wide criticism for airing politically slanted content on its stations.
- Sinclair’s acquisition of Tribune Media would result in less competition, fewer local program options, and higher costs for consumers.
- The FCC should block this merger and restore policies that encourage a diversity of local media owners and a wide range of viewpoints.
Also, read LCI member Annie Dugan’s letter to the FCC here for additional talking points.
Sinclair Broadcast Group is a Trump-loving media company that is looking to acquire over 200 local news TV stations, reaching 72% of U.S. households. Until Trump’s FCC chairman scrapped the rule, companies like this were not allowed to reach more than 39% percent of households. Sinclair’s past behavior at places like Seattle’s KOMO News indicates they plan to turn our local news into an outlet for conservative, pro-Trump propaganda.
This unprecedented level of media consolidation is opposed by everyone from the American Cable Association to conservative outlets like Newsmax. But ordinary citizens like you need to weigh in too!
Want more information? Click here:
- John Oliver’s segment on Sinclair and KOMO News: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvtNyOzGogc
- ‘Two Big reasons Sinclair-Tribune TV merger should be nixed’: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2017/08/07/two-big-reasons-sinclair-tribune-tv-merger-should-nixed-opponents-say/546158001/
- Conservative opposition to the merger: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/business/media/sinclair-bid-to-acquire-tribune-media-draws-opposition.html
Thanks to Seattle Indivisible for this summary and resources.