Cape Cod community leaders, in partnership with The Privilege Institute, are hosting a two-day symposium on white privilege at Nauset Regional High School in Eastham:
Friday, October 20th, 2017
Check In & Registration opens at 5:30 pm
6:30 pm – 9:00 pm
Saturday, October 21st, 2017
Check In & Registration opens at 8:00 am
9:00 am – 5:45 pm
“Understanding & Challenging Privilege: One Ally at a Time ” brings the National White Privilege Conference’s acclaimed, robust model of engagement, action and accountability, to Cape Cod for the first time. Join Cape Cod racial justice activists, academics, artists and more to explore the pressing issues of our time, understand root causes of systemic injustice, build solidarity, strengthen community and develop strategies for dismantling privilege and oppression.
The symposium will provide a unique opportunity for the Cape Cod community – from high school and college students, teachers, university faculty and higher education professionals, to non-profit staff, community leaders and activists, social workers and counselors, healthcare workers, and members of the spiritual community and corporate arena – to examine diversity, power, privilege, leadership and oppression. Workshops and keynote speakers will offer practical tips, tools and strategies for combating systemic inequities through educational and action-oriented programming.
Speakers will include:
- Jackie Battalora, author of Birth of a White Nation: The Invention of White People and Its Relevance Today
- Chuck Collins, Director of the Program on Inequality and the Common Good at the Institute for Policy Studies
- Debby Irving, racial justice educator and author of Waking Up White
- Peggy McIntosh, feminist, anti-racism activist, and Senior Research Associate at the Wellesley Centers for Women.
- Eddie Moore, Jr., founder of America & MOORE, LLC, a leading provider of comprehensive diversity, privilege and leadership trainings and workshops; and
- Jasiri X, rapper and activist.
$75 College Student
$50 High School Student
In keeping with the values of the WPC, this symposium will succeed when it is accessible to a full economic array of participants. Those who find regular registration rates beyond their capability may volunteer their time and attend the full conference at a reduced rate.
To register, click here.
For more information: #Accountability4Action