He will overturn Roe v. Wade.
From our friends at Avaaz
Here are 5 more top facts everyone should know about Trump’s long collusion with Russian organised criminals — forward this link and share it on Facebook — we all deserve to know the truth:
It’s now shockingly clear that Donald Trump is Putin’s poodle.
But we need the world to understand why, before it’s too late…
Trump’s businesses went bankrupt so many times in the 1990s that many legitimate banks wouldn’t lend to him anymore. He turned to Russian oligarchs –– Putin’s ruling clique — to bankroll his projects, and launder their dirty money for them. This was, and continues to be, a huge part of his business. He’s a Russian money launderer.
“We don’t rely on American banks. We have all the funding we need out of Russia.”
Donald Trump JR, 2014
This isn’t speculation or hyperbole. There’s mountains of evidence. Trump’s former election campaign Chairman, Paul Manafort, has deep ties to Russian oligarchs, and is currently in jail awaiting trial on, among other charges, money laundering!
- Trump’s main financial backer for the Trump Tower Toronto was a Russian-Canadian billionaire who got the money by selling a massive steel mill in Ukraine for nearly a billion dollars. $100 million of that money was paid to a Kremlin-backed fixer, likely as a bribe to VERY high Russian officials. The Chairman of the Bank who financed the deal? Vladimir Putin.
- Trump bought his home in Palm Beach, Florida for $41 million. A few years later, with no real increase in the value — he sold it for $95 million — the most expensive home in America at the time! Why?A major Russian oligarch bought it — we don’t know yet why he effectively ‘gave’ Trump $54 million. But it’s classic money laundering practice.
- Trump’s real estate deals were often fuelled by Russian money, typically passed through shady shell companies. 77% of Trump Soho apartments were bought with cash by such mysterious companies. At least 13 people with links to Russian oligarchs or mobsters lived in Trump properties, including one of Russia’s top mobsters. One even ran a high-stakes illegal gambling ring in the apartment right below Trump’s! “Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets”
Donald Trump JR, 2008
- Trump’s financial broker and “Senior Advisor” was a Russian convicted felon named Felix Sater, widely known as a mafia figure who once stabbed someone in the face with a broken margarita glass, requiring over 100 stitches. Sater helped set up shell companies, and arranged funding for Trump’s projects, including plans for Trump Tower Moscow. He’s also part of Putin’s inner circle. Here’s one email he wrote to Trump’s lawyer Michael Cohen in November, 2015: “Michael I arranged for Ivanka to sit in Putins private chair at his desk and office in the Kremlin. I will get Putin on this program and we will get Donald elected. We both know no one else knows how to pull this off without stupidity or greed getting in the way. I know how to play it and we will get this done. Buddy our boy can become President of the USA and we can engineer it. I will get all of Putins team to buy in on this, I will.” New York Times, August 27, 2017
- Trump’s other main business is casinos — which are classic money laundering vehicles. One of his casinos was 100 times found in violation of federal rules protecting against money laundering, and paid the largest fine ever levied against a casino for having “willfully violated” anti-money laundering rules. Trump has a legal obligation to do “due diligence” for all his businesses to prevent laundering. His senior executive’s comment on this was “Donald doesn’t do diligence”.
The Big Picture
Putin is a former KGB officer who has used chemical weapons, assassinated people in other countries, invaded the Ukraine, occupied Crimea, shot down the MH17 airliner with almost 300 passengers on board, aided a murderous regime in Syria, condoned the beating and torture of gays, stolen up to $200 billion from his own people, hacked foreign elections and launched what NATO calls the largest hybrid warfare campaign in history to undermine western liberal democracies. He is also widely believed to have ordered the murder of Russian journalists and critics, and bombed hundreds of Russian civilians to fake a terrorist attack and justify a war in Chechnya.
Yet when asked at their press conference if Trump had any criticism of Putin, he had none, and ridiculed US law enforcement for investigating Russian attacks on US democracy!
Why? Trump has been working for Putin’s corrupt inner circle for almost 20 years. And it’s that corrupt circle that promises to make him rich for the next 20 (he’s refused, in violation of all ethics, to divest from his businesses as President).
Trump *may* be a Russian intelligence asset, he *may* have colluded with Putin to sabotage the US election. But what is clear is that he is a corrupt Russian money launderer, in the pocket of a KGB dictator. The whole world needs to know this, and rally together to prevent the damage this corrupt alliance threatens. Share this email with everyone…
Ricken, Emma, Rewan, Joseph, Morgan, Spyro, Flora and the whole Avaaz team
PS — scroll down for a TON of credible, trustworthy, fact-checked sources for everything in this email. Avaaz isn’t one of those absurd troll publications that slings lies for profit — we’re a nonprofit, and every time we make an error anywhere, we publish the correction on our accuracy page, linked from the front of our website.
PPS — if Trump the ‘organized criminal money launderer’ sounds like a stretch to you, consider it just the tip of the iceberg of Trump’s known corruption:
- His ‘charitable foundation’ is likely to be shut down for multiple examples of fraud.
- Trump ‘University‘ scammed legions of vulnerable people out of their money.
- He had an affair with a pornstar and paid her to keep quiet — she says she was also threatened with physical violence.
- His ex-wife attested in court documents that he brutally raped her while tearing out her hair after he didn’t like the hair replacement doctor she recommended.
- He bragged, on tape, about sexually assaulting multiple women.
- Hundreds of people hired by Trump say he simply decided not to pay them for their work — including dishwashers, painters and waiters, some of whom were making minimum wage.
- He has been sued, and forced to pay out settlements, over a hundred times.
Trump is not a devil — he’s a human being, and like all people he has positive qualities and legitimate views. But anyone who denies that he is deeply corrupt, isn’t looking at the facts. To understand Trump, and protect our world from him, we need to understand his corruption.
Trump’s Russian Laundromat (The New Republic)
Everything We Know About Russia and President Trump (Committee to Investigate Russia)
Secret Money: How Trump Made Millions Selling Condos To Unknown Buyers (Buzzfeed News)
Trump’s Russian connections (Financial Times)
Dirty money: Trump and the Kazakh connection (Financial Times)
Trump’s oldest son said a decade ago that a lot of the family’s assets came from Russia (Business Insider)
Sales of Trump properties suggestive of money-laundering – researcher (Reuters)
Tower of secrets: the Russian money behind a Donald Trump skyscraper (Financial Times)
Trump Tower Toronto Was ‘Investment Scheme And Conspiracy’: Lawsuit (Huffington Post)
If Trump Is Laundering Russian Money, Here’s How It Works (Wired)
Trump’s casino was a money laundering concern shortly after it opened (CNN)
Donald Trump and the mansion that no one wanted. Then came a Russian fertilizer king (Miami Herald)
Everything you want to know about Donald Trump’s bankruptcies (CNN)
Canada’s highest court upholds ruling that Donald Trump did mislead investors (The Independent)
Russian elite invested nearly $100 million in Trump buildings (Reuters)
Why did a Russian pay $95M to buy Trump’s Palm Beach mansion? (The Seattle Times)
The Russia investigation and Donald Trump: a timeline from on-the-record sources (updated) (Politifact)
Here are 10 critics of Vladimir Putin who died violently or in suspicious ways (Washington Post)
A Brief History of Attempted Russian Assassinations by Poison (Foreign Policy)
International Criminal Court: Russia’s Invasion Of Ukraine Is A ‘Crime,’ Not A Civil War (Forbes)
Donald Trump’s Worst Deal: The President helped build a hotel in Azerbaijan that appears to be a corrupt operation engineered by oligarchs tied to Iran’s Revolutionary Guard (The New Yorker)
Trump’s Business of Corruption (The New Yorker)
Trump lawyer ‘paid by Ukraine’ to arrange White House talks (BBC)
After becoming President, Trump has sold millions in real estate in secret deals (Newsweek)
Just What Were Donald Trump’s Ties to the Mob? (Politico)
Russian lawyer from infamous Trump Tower meeting admits to being an informant for the Kremlin: Report (CNBC)
Next weekend marks 100 days out from the 2018 midterm elections.
It also marks the one year anniversary of stopping Republicans from passing TrumpCare, which would have stripped 16 million people of health care. Now, we have the chance to use that same power to flip the House (and maybe the Senate!) by electing progressive leaders who represent our movement’s values.
For the next 100 days, Indivisible groups (including Lower Cape Indivisible) will #DoTheWork necessary build the big blue wave across the country. And we’re kicking off that work, coast to coast, in a weekend of action from July 27 to July 29.
Call to Action
Here’s this week’s list of actions from National Indivisible. Please share this list far and wide with your friends and fellow activists:
- Find a #100DaysOut event near you on our events map here!
- From July 27 to 29, Indivisibles everywhere will knock on doors, make calls to voters, and #DoTheWork to start mobilizing around the 2018 elections. On the map, you can filter by issue and select the 2018 elections tab.
- Join the national weekend of action phonebank! Sign up for the phonebank here or you can set up a phonebank party with your Indivisible group.
- Check out National Indivisible’s brand new blog post up on the #100DaysOut weekend of action! Make sure to share with your friends, IndivisiFam, and more to inform them about our huge weekend coming up!
This week’s policy rundown
A generation of progress could be undone with Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court. Immigrant families are still waiting to be reunited. Trump continues to put us all at risk by attacking our allies on the world stage, and siding with authoritarians. Now, more than ever, we need to come together and let the country know that we’re ready to #DoTheWork to elect leaders that stop the Trump administration’s agenda once and for all.
Republicans are trying to fit in as much funding for terrorizing immigrant communities as they can before the blue wave sweeps them out of office.
- House Republicans want to increase funding for Trump’s cruel immigration policies. The House Appropriations Committee plans to mark up a package to fund the Department of Homeland Security next week. The bill could be amended before the committee votes on it, but we already know it includes nearly $4 billion in additional funding for CBP, over $300 million in additional funding for ICE, and $5 billion for Trump’s wall.
- The deadline for the Trump administration to reunify children separated from their parents at the border through its zero tolerance policy is July 26. Check out our resource on the current status of family separation.
And this week’s #TrumpThreatLevel:
- Trump kowtowed to Putin in Helsinki. Trump refused to confront the Russian president over Russia’s interference in our elections, seizure of Crimea, or human rights abuses — days after he blasted our closest allies. As our Associate Policy Director Elizabeth Beavers said in an op-ed for CNN, “Trump’s choice to spend his time overseas harassing and insulting our closest friends while cozying up to our adversaries Putin and Russia is just the latest in his year-and-a-half-long campaign to actively harm US interests by exporting Trumpism abroad.”
Source: National Indivisible
The fight to #SaveSCOTUS from Trump’s next Supreme Court Justice nominee is no longer speculative. Last night, Trump announced his nomination to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy on the Supreme Court: Brett Kavanaugh.
Indivisible has teamed up with with MoveOn, Demand Justice, NARAL Pro-Choice America, Ultraviolet, National Center for Transgender Equality, United We Dream, Planned Parenthood Action Fund, CREDO, and other national progressive organizations to call for a week of action to #SaveSCOTUS.
Yesterday, we kicked off our week of action with in-district visits across the country. As outlined in Indivisible’s 2-Step Strategy to Win the Supreme Court Fight, the only way we can defeat Trump’s nominee is to make sure every single senate Democrat (and likely two Republicans) commits to a ‘no’ vote. Show up at your senator’s office and let them know that you’re paying attention.View Post
How you can help to #SaveSCOTUS.
- Find a #SaveSCOTUS Senate District Office event near you on our event map.
- If you don’t see one, register your own. There’s still time.
- Can’t make it to a district office in-person? You can still call Senators Warren and Markey to make your voice heard:
- Senator Edward J. Markey: 202-224-2742 or 617-565-8519
- Senator Elizabeth A. Warren: 202-224-4543 or 617- 565-3170
- Kavanaugh is one of the most cravenly partisan choices Trump could have made. He’s been called the “Forrest Gump of Republican politics,” as he seems to always show up in high-stakes, far-right political battles and conspiracy theories. In fact, his “excessive partisanship” delayed his confirmation to the DC Circuit in 2003 by not one, not two, but three years, and only then passed by a 57 to 43 vote. His long, partisan history even had Mitch McConnell scrambling to encourage Trump to make another pick just three days ago. We. can. win. this.
- This is a pick that will shift the court’s balance and reshape our country for generations to come. And only through intense pressure from constituents will senators understand what’s at stake and what they need to do. McConnell has said he’d like to vote on Trump’s Supreme Court pick by the fall. But first, it has to go through the Judiciary Committee, a confirmation vote in the full Senate… and you.
- All eyes will be on this nominee — and the response from grassroots activists like you. No senator will be able to lay low on their position. That makes this — today, tomorrow, all week long — the perfect moment to begin pressuring our senators to make the right decision and commit to opposing Kavanaugh.
- This is just the beginning. There are will be many flashpoints in the weeks ahead where we’ll need to be all hands on deck. We’ll be fighting tooth and nail to keep this extreme nominee from being seated on the court. Using the same grassroots opposition that stopped TrumpCare in spite of impossible odds, we will make it clear to both Democrats and Republicans that a ‘yes’ vote for Brett Kavanaugh is a vote to gut our rights and undermine our democratic institutions.
From our friends at Common Cause Massachusetts:
With your help, Automatic Voter Registration (AVR) recently cleared a crucial hurdle: it was approved by the Massachusetts House with a bipartisan vote of 130-20.
This was a major feat, but our work isn’t over yet. The Senate is expected to bring the bill to the floor as early as this Wednesday. That means that over the next two days, we need to tell every Senator on Beacon Hill to vote in favor of AVR and support more inclusive, accurate, and secure elections in the Commonwealth.
Call to Action
Don’t wait! Send a message TODAY and ask Senator Cyr to vote in favor of AVR:
Now, when the integrity of our electoral process is more at risk than ever, we can’t let this opportunity to better our elections slip by. AVR has support from both sides of the aisle as well as many key government officials, and it has already proven to boost participation in states like Oregon. AVR will also make our elections more secure and will keep our rolls more up-to-date. It is simple, popular, and essential to our democracy.
However, in order to have enough time to fully implement it in Massachusetts for the 2020 Presidential election, AVR must go through the legislature this session. This is a vital reform that cannot wait any longer.
We are so, so close to the finish line. Your efforts have been a key part of the push for AVR so far, and we know we can count on you again. Let’s get this done!
Thanks for all you do,
Pam Wilmot, Executive Director
And the team at Common Cause Massachusetts
Here’s the special Recess Week edition of suggested actions for activists from National Indivisible:
After more than 2600 Cape Codders marched and protested this past weekend , there are 62 (!!) #endfamilyseparation events and 48 town halls on our on our events map here. MoCs will be home until July 9 so there’s still time to plan and register an event on our map if there isn’t an event near you. We have a handy organizing toolkit to help you to pressure your MoCs to make a verbal commitment to end family separation.
Last Wednesday, Justice Kennedy announced he would retire from the Supreme Court — and already GOP leaders are whipping votes for Trump’s pick. We won’t sugarcoat it: if Trump gets his appointment, we will see attack after attack in the courts to undo decades of legal progress.
We have a (narrow) path to stopping Trump’s nomination: all Democrats must reject any nomination and two Republicans must join them (read the strategy here).
Read our resource to learn how to use local public events to get facetime with your Senators while they’re home for the 4th of July. The ask for ALL Senators is the same: they must commit immediately to opposing anyone that Trump nominates from his shortlist. New Yorkers: pressure Minority Leader Chuck Schumer to hold Democrats together.
3) Let your MoC know: November is coming.
Election after election, we’ve shook districts, created major upsets, and moved primary candidates forward that were once deemed “too progressive” or “unwinnable.” And the biggest victories are still on the horizon — but only if we get organized right now.
It starts with holding your members of Congress accountable. Make sure they know you’re watching, and you’ll remember how they voted when you head to the voting booth in just 5 months. Let them know that November is coming — so get with your constituents, or we will vote you out.