Donald Trump is considering firing the man investigating Trump and his inner circle, Special Counsel Robert Mueller. (He says he has no plans to fire Mueller, but we can’t trust anything he says).
As Mueller digs deeper and deeper into Trump’s finances and possible obstruction of justice, the risk that Trump will take unilateral action only increases.
If Trump fires Mueller, we will have a full-blown Constitutional crisis on our hands. If this happens, our immediate response will determine the future of our democracy.
Rapid Response Plan
That is why Lower Cape Indivisible is joining hundreds of organizations across the country and around the world which are preemptively planning “Nobody is Above the Law” rapid-response actions, ready to deploy if Trump fires Mueller. Events are already planned in 49 states (and five foreign countries) involving more than 45,000 individuals who’ve already pledged to attend.
Here’s the plan:
- If Trump fires Mueller before 2:00 p.m. local time on any given day, allies will be in the streets at 5:00 p.m. local time the same day.
- If news breaks later in the day, we will rally at noon the following day.
Please note that the proposed day/time currently listed for the event is a placeholder only and will be finalized if/when Trump fires Mueller.)
Our response in the minutes and hours following an authoritarian move to put Trump above the law will help drive the national media narrative and help determine whether we’re able to ensure Congress holds Trump accountable. Click here to find and pledge to attend an event near you!
Can you pledge to attend a rapid response rally on Cape Cod?
Together, we’re saying through our actions—again and again—that no one is above the law and that we’re prepared to defend our democracy—for as long as it takes.
Mueller was named as special counsel to get to the bottom of the Russian meddling in the November election, and any ensuing effort to cover it up. This includes conflicts of interest within the Trump campaign, and possibly investigating Trump’s own finances to look for motives.
By firing Mueller, Trump would trigger a full-fledged Constitutional crisis by asserting that he is above the law. The hours following the firing will determine whether he is proved right.
Congress has the constitutional authority and obligation to hold Trump accountable for this abuse of power. But we’ve seen the Republican Congress give Trump pass after pass every time he crosses another line.
Should Trump fire Mueller, if that isn’t the moment they put country over party to hold Trump accountable, it’s not clear whether it will ever happen. Let’s show our lawmakers that we won’t stand by while they allow Donald Trump to slide the US into authoritarianism.
- “Americans Will March in the Streets in 48 U.S. States If Trump Fires Robert Mueller,” Newsweek, October 30, 2017
- “Nobody Is Above the Law—Mueller Firing Rapid Response,” MoveOn.org
- “Fox News v. Robert Mueller,” The New York Times, December 12, 2017
- “Nearing the end game: The 6 phases of Trump’s plan to fire Robert Mueller” Salon, December 12, 2017
- “Trump lawyers want second special counsel appointed now,” Axios, December 12, 2017
- “Focus on Flynn, Trump timeline suggests obstruction is on Mueller’s mind,” NBC News, December 11, 2017
- “Trump Leaderboard,” TrumpTruthHiders.com, accessed December 14, 2017 https://act.moveon.org/go/9977?t=28&akid=195437%2E24575986%2ES7K6_W
- “If Trump Fires Mueller, We Must Impeach” The Nation, December 15, 2017 https://www.thenation.com/article/if-trump-fires-mueller-we-must-impeach/