Hot off the presses from National Indivisible is its weekly To Do list:
- Celebrate! Last week’s TrumpCare win was because of you. Last week was an incredible testament to the work you all have done together on TrumpCare. The combined political might of the President of the United States and the Senate Majority leader was no match for you showing up on your home turf. It was an awe-inspiring demonstration of your constituent power, and an incredible testament to the work you’ve all done together to get us to this place. It may or may not be dead for good, but regardless—have a drink, give a hug, and reflect on how much power you have. Yes, we should stay vigilant—and we will—but take time to recognize this success.
- Accountability on TrumpCare. 49 senators voted last week to take away health care from millions of Americans, and 51 voted to protect it. They need some direct feedback from you. Here are sample call scripts for your senators. Plus, if you get a chance to talk to your representative during the August Recess, make sure they know you expect them to reject any Senate version of TrumpCare using our August recess town hall questions.
- Oppose these nominations. Tell your senators to oppose the nomination of Kevin Newsom for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit in Alabama. As noted in this Politico article, Newsom is part of Trump’s broader attacks on civil rights. The vote is expected today at 5:30 pm ET.
- These 3 senators voted for TrumpCare, so help us end their careers. Check out our new IndivisiBlog from Political Director María Urbina outlining our new political program, and help us defeat Senators Dean Heller, Jeff Flake, and Ted Cruz. These 3 all voted in favor of TrumpCare and are up for re-election in 2018. If you can,help us build up our new state campaigns here (more info below).
- Join us for Facebook live TONIGHT. Join Indivisible team members tonight for a Facebook live at 8:30pm ET where we’ll be giving an update on what’s next for TrumpCare, what’s happening in Congress this week, and answering your questions in real time.
The House has begun its month-long district work period known as the August Recess.
But just before leaving, Paul Ryan had given himself same-day authority to pass “Skinny Repeal,” anticipating that the Senate would succeed in passing it and immediately send it over to the House. Your representative needs to hear from you that you do not want them voting for TrumpCare. Here’s a new script to get you started.
Senate Republicans may still make another attempt to pass TrumpCare. Senators are shell-shocked from the failed TrumpCare votes last week, but they are exploring ways to move forward. The Senate took votes on three different versions of TrumpCare last week, and each was defeated. But nothing prevents Mitch McConnell from trying to bring a fourth version of a bill for another vote—that is, nothing except you. Stay vigilant. Thank your senators who voted against TrumpCare; hold those who voted for it accountable.Here’s a script to use when talking to your senators.
These 3 senators voted for TrumpCare. Let’s end their political careers.
It’s time for electoral retribution. Look, we’ve been reasonable up until now. We’ve steadily pressured our senators to do the right thing. But at some point, reasonable people have to conclude that their representatives are no longer actually representing them. At some point, we have to say enough is enough. For Indivisible, that point has come (read more about this on our new blog from Indivisible Political Director María Urbina).
The Republican senators who attempted (and failed!) to pass TrumpCare made their choice: they sold their constituents out to stand with Trump. It’s time for us to make our choice: let’s kick them out of office. We need your help to accomplish this.
Our plan to pay back 3 pro-TrumpCare senators. Democrats currently have 48 Senate seats. If they pick up 3 Senate seats, they retake the Senate. And if they retake the Senate, all bets are off for this Administration and its incredibly cruel agenda.
So in response to this historic catastrophe of a health care vote, we are launching a new campaign to defeat 3 key vulnerable pro-TrumpCare senators who are up for re-election in 2018:
The plan starts now. We are setting up accounts to raise funds for these 3 states through the 2018 elections. To build the foundation for these campaigns RIGHT NOW, we are raising seed funding of $50,000 for each of these accounts, with a goal of $100,000 over the next month. If we are able to fund these accounts, we will be able to put in place the right staff and resources for 2018:
- State campaign director. To transform constituent power into electoral power, we will hire state directors in each of Nevada, Arizona, and Texas to coordinate Indivisible activity and support the local groups.
- Voter file access in the state. One crucial tool that Indivisible groups lack is the “voter file,” which is an absolutely necessary (but expensive) tool to effectively target outreach to specific households.
- Call and texting outreach tools for local groups. We will purchase and provide calling and texting tools that Indivisible groups can use to contact and mobilize voters across the state.