Democrats don’t control Congress, but their votes are needed to pass a Republican spending bill. Three days after withholding their support, leading to a partial government shutdown, the Democrats gave in, gave away their leverage, and voted to approve a short-term funding bill without protections for Dreamers.
We’re still baffled by the “bipartisan” “deal” struck by Republicans and (some) Democrats in the Senate that provides no guarantees or relief for Dreamers and their families.
But we are still fighting.
Call to Action
The next continuing resolution (CR) runs out on February 8. Making a call to our members of Congress (MoCs) is the most impactful thing you can do right now to protect Dreamers.
Here’s what you can do:
- Visit DreamerPledge.org to read Indivisible’s latest analysis.
- Use Indivisible’s Dream Hero call script to thank Senators Warren and Markey and Representative Keating, all of whom voted to protect Dreamers. (in fact, the entire Massachusetts Congressional delegation are Dream Heroes).
- Make your call using Indivisible’s toll-free line at 1-855-980-2355. You’ll be prompted for your zip code and immediately connected to one of your Senators.
- Call back again and you’ll be connected to your other Senator!
- Once you’ve talked to both your Senators, make a call to Representative Keating (202 225-3111) using the Dream Hero script.
Late last week, we got yet another look at Donald Trump’s Stephen-Miller-written-vision for America when he double downed on his white supremacist agenda and outlined his views for immigration reform. The proposal equated to nothing more than a nativist ransom note disguised as supporting Dreamers, and, in the words of House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, represented just another piece of “an unmistakable campaign to make America white again.”
We cannot forget that the crisis faced by 800,000 Dreamers is a crisis created by Donald Trump when he eliminated the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program five months ago. Because Trump terminated DACA, over 16,000 Dreamers are estimated to have already lost their protections, and nearly 1,000 more will lose DACA each week and become vulnerable to Trump’s deportation force.
It’s a crisis that was made worse by Mitch McConnell and his Republican enablers when they decided to use the government funding debate as an opportunity to pit kids against kids and falsely present the Continuing Resolution as a choice between CHIP and the Dream Act.
There is bipartisan support for the Dream Act in both the Senate and House. And Dreamers enjoy massive support from the American public. Despite this, Trump and Republicans would rather defend the administration’s racist policies and shut down the government than take a bipartisan deal to protect Dreamers, fund the government, and advance other critical priorities.
Let our members of Congress know you’ll keep fighting, and you expect them to fight too. Make a call, show up, don’t give up. We’re going to continue this fight until Dreamers have protection and all elected officials who side with Trump’s bigoted agenda are voted out of office.