In September, the Trump Administration upended the lives of nearly 800,000 DREAMers when Trump rescinded DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals), the Obama-era Executive Order that allowed young undocumented Americans to obtain job permits and live in the US, temporarily, without fearing deportation. Even more, Trump punted responsibility to Congress, which has yet to act.
The clock is ticking to pass a clean DREAM Act and pressure is mounting.
Late last week, several MOCs, including Senator Elizabeth Warren and Representative Keith Ellison (D-MI), announced they won’t support the upcoming government spending bill unless Republicans move forward with protections for DREAMers.
On November 9, as part of a day of action by our ally, United We Dream, we ask you to call Senator Markey and Representative Keating to ask them to take the DREAMer Pledge: If Congress hasn’t passed the DREAM Act by Dec. 8—when funding for the government expires—then they will insist on it being a part of the December spending bill, and will commit to voting against the December “continuing resolution” unless it contains a clean DREAM Act.
- Edward Markey (202) 224-2742
- Bill Keating (202) 225-3111
Sample Call Script
Caller: Hello! My name is [name] and I’m calling from Cape Cod. Could you please tell me what the [Senator/Representative]’s position is on Trump’s announcement that he is ending the DACA program to provide relief from deportation for 800,000 DREAMers who came to the United States as children?
Staffer: Yes! [Senator/Representative] is totally opposed to the decision to end DACA.
Caller: I’m glad to hear that. Can you tell me what [Senator/Representative] has done so far to speak out about this?
Staffer: Sure. [Senator/Representative] gave a speech on the floor recently that talked about the importance of DACA for immigrants and for our state’s economy.
Caller: That’s great, but it’s going to take more than talk and tweet storms to keep 800,000 DACA recipients from falling into Trump’s deportation machine. Will the [Senator/Representative] take the “DREAMer Pledge”? The DREAMer Pledge is a commitment to do everything he can to pass the DREAM Act as soon as possible, but if it hasn’t passed by December that he will insist that it be included in the December government spending bill.
- DACA provides relief from deportation to individuals who came to the US as children, if they meet a number of requirements (including extensive background checks). The program has provided approximately 800,000 young people the opportunity to live and work lawfully in the US. It does not provide a path to citizenship.
- In cancelling DACA, Donald Trump betrayed our values and broke our promise to these young immigrants who grew up calling the U.S. home.
- Trump’s elimination of DACA is consistent with his broader white supremacist agenda. He is systematically attacking people of color, immigrants, the LGBTQ community, and anyone else he can “other.” He pardoned former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, a man who made his career by violating the constitutional rights of those he was sworn to protect because of the color of their skin.